STORY BY DR. ALABEKEE V. C. (ASSISTANT NATIONAL SECRETARY, UNAA)
On the 24th day of March, 2021, University of Nigeria Alumni Association National Executives paid a Courtesy visit to the Vice Chancellor University of Nigeria, Prof Charles Igwe. Led by the National President, Sir Ben Okoronkwo at the VC’s conference room. Prof Johnson Urama (DVC Academics), Prof Patrick Okpoko (DVC Admin) and other management staff of the University were also present.
Some of the Alumni activities spoken about by the National President includes;
1. Alumni Centre Project:
The architectural and structural designs of this historical iconic and symbolic four-storey edifice was presented in 3-D. He said the project will indeed be a memorable one. Meanwhile for the past 56 years of existence of the Alumni Association, we regrettably had operated from temporary and makeshift offices. This is the time to change the narrative by the erection of an iconic Alumni Multipurpose Centre. A 5,200sqm piece of land had been procured and all the Engineering drawings for the centre completed. Funds are now being sourced in order to begin the construction. All our well-meaning members and friends are enjoined to be part of this giant stride towards a befitting iconic Alumni Multipurpose Centre at the Alma Mater.
2. Alumni Representative (Convocation Rep. in Council)
The President explained that the Convocation Representative in Council is mandatory for the Office of the National President.
3. UNAA NEC:
He informed management that the next UNAA NEC will hold in Umuahia from April 29 to May 2nd, 2021. He seized the opportunity to invite the Vice Chancellor, as well as request his presence to declare the 105th NEC open. He also highlighted some of the activities and mentioned other special guests, resource persons and personalities that will be expected to grace the event. Such he spoke of personalities like the Executive Governor of Abia state; His Excellency Dr Okezie Ikpeazu and the VC of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike; Prof Iwe as the Keynote Speaker.
He broke the unfortunate news of the UNAA 10th National President, Dr. Nwanne Chioke, who had been called to glory. The VC was presented with the funeral uniform for the burial at Ogidi on April 8th, 2021. In the same vein, he informed the University management of the abduction and gruesome killing of the Vice President of Onitsha 2 branch, Barr. Francis Onwuachi. A minute silence was observed in honor of these Alumni Veterans. He also commended the VC on his commitment and participation during the funeral of a foremost student Leader and Alumni President, Prof BIC Ijiomah, last December, 2020. Finally, he thanked him for the audience and informed him that the Alumni movement expects much and better cooperation as the first Alumnus VC of UNN for development and progress of the Alma mater.
In his response, the VC, Prof Igwe expressed delight over the character and composure of Sir Ben Okoronkwo as the National President of the “ORGANIZED’ Alumni Association. He encouraged him to continue to extend his right hand of fellowship to any group or persons and to all members. According to him, there is time to fight and time to stop fighting.
He gave positive responses to all the requests made by the National President.
Alumni members who were present at the visit included;
- Dr. Sanusi Muhammad Kani of Kano branch (the DNP)
- Prof Anselm Onyimonyi of Nsukka branch (the Zonal Vice President, South East)
- Hon Chris Nwokocha of Aba branch (the National Secretary)
- Dr. Alabekee Chikwendu of Owerri branch (the Assistant National Secretary)
- Chief Austin Anamali of Asaba branch (the National Financial Secretary)
- Barr. Chris Ajugwe of Onitsha 1 (the National Legal Adviser)
- Nze S.O. Nwariaku of Umuahia branch (Immediate Past National Secretary / Chairman, Research & Publications)
- Prof Modo (President Uyo branch)
- Dr. Ngozi Ulogu (President Awka branch)
- Lady Stella Nwachukwu of Umudike branch (the National Ex Officio)
- Dr. Doris Okoroh (National Auditor)
- Tochukwu Onyebuchi (President PH branch)
- Barr Bene Meneke (President Owerri branch)
- Godwin Egbung (National Ex-officio)
- Chief Mrs Adaora Ogbu (National Treasurer)
- Barr Lizzy Anyaonu
To God be the glory for the journey mercies to all.
As reported by Onyinye Onuoha, MNIM (National Publicity Secretary, UNAA).